The ‘Brett bounce’: what the GOP will rely on for midterm elections

By Dean Galiffa


Brett Kavanaugh was sworn into the U.S. Supreme Court on Oct. 8 as a result of a 50-48 vote, one of the slimmest margins in American history, confirming his lifelong position as an associate justice of the Supreme Court.

The majority ruling was determined by two coalitions of the same bloc. The larger group, led by senators Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham, believes that granting an alleged sexual predator life tenure is a fair price for a 5-4 conservative majority.

The smaller group, led by senators Susan Collins and Jeff Flake, could not conceive the concept of abstaining from their ideologies for the sake of morals, although both credited the insufficient FBI investigation into accusations made against Kavanaugh as the basis for their decision.

Unfortunately, Kavanaugh’s appointment has seemingly intensified a partisanship divide between both legislatures, with Republicans hoping to hold their majority position in the Senate, due to what some have called a “Brett bounce,” a new wave of support for Republican candidates as a result of the successful confirmation of Kavanaugh.

Democrats, on the other hand, are ostensibly projecting that their votes will secure a more liberal House of Representatives because suburban swing districts, especially those that heavily voted for Trump in 2016, are predicted to vote blue.

According to FiveThirtyEight, as this paper goes to press, there is a 77.4 percent chance Republicans win control of the Senate, with a 22.4 percent chance Democrats do. However, there is a 77.9 percent chance Democrats win control of the House of Representatives, and a 22.1 percent chance Republicans do.

But four weeks is a long time in politics, and the Republican support for the Senate is naive and fleeting, almost an ignorant bliss. Historically, political parties are more likely to stay angry longer than happy, so there is a greater likelihood that the Democratic party will sustain the same energy.

Some believe that Kavanaugh has been subjected to mischaracterization surrounding events that allegedly took place during his academic career. Testimonies accusing the new Supreme Court Justice state that he sexually harassed Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and other women. However, both Ford and Kavanaugh went under oath and gave their testimonies.

After several hours of sharing her claims and answering any and all questions that arose, Ford’s patience and calm demeanor never faltered. Furthermore, what does Ford have to gain by lying? She has subjected herself to lifelong assault for her testimony, including villainization. So why bother if she is not telling the truth?

Kavanaugh, on the other hand, was in hysterics after at least 20 minutes of questioning. While some may argue this is the mark of an innocent man in question, I would say that this only characterizes his unfit ability to serve on the highest court of the land.

Registering to vote is the most proactive and efficient way to resolve the current judiciary dilemma.

Contact Dean Galiffa at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s